New Ventures & Entrepreneurship
Welcome! The New Ventures & Entrepreneurship (NVE) group within OTC is dedicated to fostering startup activity at Rutgers.
NVE is focused on two key areas:
1) enabling and promoting commercialization of Rutgers technologies via viable start-up companies and/ or partnerships with industry; and
2) building and growing New Jersey’s regional innovation ecosystem which includes the infrastructure and professional networks needed to accelerate the development of early stage companies.
At Rutgers, we know that entrepreneurship is a team sport. To that end, NVE acts as a one-stop shop to connect Rutgers faculty, staff, students, alumni and members of New Jersey’s business community to resources and departments throughout the University that can help with entrepreneurial and innovation needs.
History of Entrepreneurship
A significant percentage of revenue to the technology transfer organization is attributed to the success of Rutgers’ start-up companies. Of more than 80 spinouts created from Rutgers intellectual property, two-thirds are NJ based which contributes to job growth and economic development in the State.
Some notable examples of Rutgers spinout companies include technology from Teoma that helped power the search engine, Ask.com; FastForward software that helps children with learning disabilities; recyclable plastic lumber and materials licensed to Axion and Sicut; and TyRx’s Antibacterial Envelope which holds devices, such as pacemakers and implantable defibrillators (ICDs) in place in the body.
From information technology to learning software based on cutting-edge neuroscience to novel materials contributing to a greener economy to state-of-the-art medical devices, entrepreneurship at Rutgers is making an impact on the world!
Entrepreneurship Programs & Resources
Like raising a child, starting a new company is often thought of as easier to conceive than to nurture. In an effort to make the growth of startups easier, NVE maintains several programs and will continue to introduce others to provide entrepreneurs and technologists the support they need.
Programs that NVE administers or is affiliated with include:
- Rutgers Entrepreneurs Mentor Program (REMP)
- Creative Works Program (CWP)
- Rutgers annual Entrepreneurship Day events
- Investor Breakfasts
- Entrepreneurship Bootcamps
- NJ Makerspace Association
- New Jersey Business Incubator Network (NJBIN)
- University City Science Center’s QED Program
- New Jersey Small Business Development Centers (NJSBDC)
- Jumpstart NJ Angel Network
- New Jersey Technology Council (NJTC)
For additional information, see the various program tabs or Contact Us