- IP to Startups
- Translational Sciences
- Small Business and Entrepreneurship
- Financing Your Business
- Business Plans
- Business and Market Research
Affordable and No-Cost Legal Services
Rutgers School of Law
For more information about the Newark and Camden clinics, please visit the Legal Clinics Webpage. Some of the included clinics are:
- Intellectual Property Law Clinic (Newark) - This clinic offers intellectual property and entertainment law advice and assistance for non-profit entities, authors, artists, inventors, start-up for profit businesses and microenterprises and charter schools, including intellectual property audits and licenses, copyright, trademark, right of publicity, trade secret, and patent assistance.
- Small Business Counseling (Camden) - Students advise clients of the Rutgers’ School of Business Small Business Development Center, including conducting initial interviews, research as necessary, drafting, and counseling small businesses on items that may include evaluating and implementing the form of organization, participating in the development of a business plan, and drafting agreements.
Office of Student Legal Services
- Rutgers University Student Legal Services (RUSLS) provides eligible Rutgers University students with professional legal advice and assistance at no cost by attorneys licensed to practice in the State of New Jersey. The RUSLS mission is to give students a place to go to have their questions answered so that their legal issues do not interfere with their academic pursuits.
VLA Patent Pro Bono Program
- The Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts Patent Pro Bono Program will work to match qualified (income restrictions) inventors with experienced patent attorneys to assist with the filing and prosecution of patents. Although this is a pro bono program, some administration costs and filing fees will apply.
- This lawyer-run site provides free, in-depth answers to hundreds of FAQs that business owners should be aware of prior to launch. Topics touch on: raising venture capital, protecting intellectual property, incorporating a startup and everything in between.
Building a Business and Creating Business Plans and Pitch Decks
- SCORE's Business Plan for a Startup Template – A very easy to follow instructional template for putting together a business plan.
- Bplans: Business Planning - A great repository of information for creating a business plan
- DocSend - 200 Startups Who Raised 360 Million – DocSend reviewed the pitch decks of 200 companies that successfully raised $360 Million in Series Seed and Series A rounds. They outline what they found and make good suggestions.
- Founders Workbench is a resource to help ease the process of building a business. The site includes free access to the Founders Toolbox ©
- LinkedIn's Series B Pitch to Greylock and Pitch Advice for Entrepreneurs - An annotated copy of LinkedIn’s successful Series B financing pitch deck with great advice.
- SBA Emerging Leaders Initiative - Is a federal training initiative that specifically focuses on executives of businesses poised for growth in historically challenged communities. The initiative provides these executives with the organizational framework, resource network, and motivation required to build sustainable businesses and promote the economic development within urban communities.
- Udacity.com Free Course - How to Build a Startup
- SBA Business Plan Tool
- Start-Up Nation - everything you need to build a business
- Business Owners Toolkit
- Cleverism Article - How to Write a Good Business Plan
Centers for Small Business Development
The New Jersey Small Business Development Centers’ network is committed to guiding established small business owners and aspiring entrepreneurs to create and expand their business enterprises which will, in turn, result in sustainable growth, job creation and statewide economic development and prosperity. Free or low-cost consulting is available via their website.
- Rutgers Center for Urban Entrepreneurship & Economic Development
- New Jersey Small Business Development Centers
New Jersey Business Portal
- The NJ Business Portal is a "one-stop shop" for doing business in New Jersey - whether poised to start, grow or relocate a business. Economic growth is a top priority in the Garden State, and the NJ Business Portal aims to reduce the red tape to make it easier to get the information, guidance and resources needed to move forward and achieve success.
New Jersey Incubators
An incubator is an enterprise that is set up to provide office space, equipment, and sometimes mentoring assistance and capital to new businesses that are just getting started. The services provided at each of the following incubators varies. In addition to checking the websites below, please contact the incubator directly for additional information.
- Rutgers Camden Technology Campus
- Rutgers EcoComplex (Environmental Incubator)
- Rutgers Food Innovation Center
- The Technology Centre of New Jersey
- New Jersey Business Incubation Network
- CCIT Life Science Incubator
New Jersey SCORE Chapters
- SCORE is a nonprofit association dedicated to helping small businesses get off the ground, grow and achieve their goals through education and mentorship. Because SCORE's work is supported by the U.S. Small Business Administration, and thanks to a network of 11,000+ volunteers, they are able to deliver services at no charge or at very low cost.
BioNJ is the "Gateway to Health," a powerful network of 400 Members representing research-based life sciences companies and other contributors to a vibrant ecosystem. As the industry’s voice in New Jersey, BioNJ's mission is to help companies help patients by driving capital formation and fostering entrepreneurship, advocating for public policies that advance medical innovation, providing access to talent and education and offering a cost-saving array of critical commercial resources.
Others in the NJ Ecosystem
- New Jersey Entrepreneurial Network (NJEN)
- Einstein’s Alley (EA)
- Institute for Sustainable Enterprise (ISE)
- New Jersey Business & Industry Association (NJBIA)
- National Association of Women Business Owners – Central Jersey (NAWBO-CJ)
- New Jersey Entrepreneurship Forum (NJEF)
- Entrepreneurship University Programs (Entre Unvi)
- Rothman Institute of Entrepreneurship (RIE)
- New Jersey Technology Council (NJTC)
- tTAp Life Science Accelorator
Disclaimer: Material presented on Rutgers Office of Research Commercialization website is intended for information purposes only. It is not intended as professional advice and should not be construed as such. The material presented on this site is included with the express understanding and agreement that Rutgers Office of Research Commercialization is not engaged in rendering legal or other professional services by posting said material. The services of a competent professional should be sought if legal or other specific expert assistance is required. Rutgers Office of Research Commercialization is not responsible for any loss or damage suffered as a result of reliance on information on this site.