- IP to Startups
- Translational Sciences
What is TechAdvanceTM?
TechAdvance is an early-stage-technology fund that provides financial support and business expertise for Rutgers faculty and students to advance promising technologies toward commercialization.
TechXpress is a fast-track program of TechAdvance created to support smaller projects – such as development of prototypes, materials and experiments that generate new information or data to move Rutgers technologies closer to commercialization. For example, TechXpress funds may be used to create a prototype for a new device, purchase a compound for proof-of-concept studies, or fund a toxicology or efficacy experiment to increase the likelihood of patentability.
Our goal is to reduce the technology risk while adding value to Rutgers technologies to increase the probability of obtaining commercialization funding from industry and private investors.
By supporting early stage technologies at Rutgers, we aim to help researchers develop useful products and services that will have a positive impact on the world around us.
Benefits of the TechAdvance Program
- Enable inventors to add value to Rutgers technologies to make them more attractive to industry and investors
- Support Rutgers’ reputation as a source of promising new technologies
- Promote economic development and growth in New Jersey and the region
- Improve the likelihood of receiving follow-on funding from public and private sources
- Generate income for Rutgers via licensing and new ventures
How It Works
- TechAdvance offers grants of up to $100,000 to support selected Rutgers technologies
- Upon completion of a TechAdvance-funded project, researchers may apply for additional funds from TechAdvance
- Applicants submit proposals to TechAdvance using a web-based platform and applications are accepted on a rolling basis
- Proposals are evaluated by external industry Reviewers and funding decisions are based on Reviewer recommendations
- Funded projects must be completed within a 12-month period from the date of the award
- Awardees submit progress reports during the project period and participate in an end-of-cycle event to present the results of their research to peers, reviewers, donors, Rutgers administrators, and local community and business representatives
- TechXpress offers grants of up to $10,000 for projects that require small amounts of funding and can be completed within a short period of time
- TechXpress offers a simplified application and review process
- Work must be completed within 6 months
- Submissions are accepted on a rolling basis
- Applicants may apply for both TechAdvance and TechXpress for separate projects
How to Apply
Eligibility for TechAdvance
The main focus of TechAdvance is advancing Rutgers technologies toward commercialization. Since patents generally enhance the commercial value of such technologies, we require that the applicant be working with the Office of Research Commercialization (ORC) to pursue a patent application for the underlying invention. The TechAdvance team will confirm your patent application status with the appropriate Licensing Manager in ORC and determine whether you are eligible to apply for TechAdvance funding. If you are not sure about the patenting status of your invention, please consult with your Licensing Manager.
Note that if your technology is already committed (via a license agreement or an option to license) to a current or prospective licensee, or if you have already been awarded funding from another source for the same work, then the technology is NOT eligible for TechAdvance funding.
Rutgers students may be eligible to apply for TechAdvance funding provided they meet all the criteria above and they are affiliated with a Rutgers lab or PI for the technology they intend to commercialize.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis for TechAdvance and TechXpress. We are currently running a limited pilot program and expect to start accepting open applications in mid-June. Check back here or send us an email at TechAdvance-Manager@ored.rutgers.edu to request information or find out when you can submit an application.
If you are interested in applying for a TechAdvance grant, you can also visit our Applicant Resources page, which includes a sample TechAdvance Application form, Guidelines for Applicants and other useful information.
TechAdvance applications are evaluated by external Reviewers who have strong technical expertise as well as industry experience in commercialization of new products.
For more information about the TechAdvance Fund, please contact us at TechAdvance-Manager@ored.rutgers.edu.